This article is our attempt to make a decision.How much are Marriott Bonvoy points worth?. How should you rate them?
Evaluating miles and points is a thankless job. we always postArticle about the value of Avios points, but this Avios article is so complex that it just proves my point.
However, in response to constant requests from readers, I've written this series of articles on how we value each of the major hotel point currencies. We updated the articles this month.
Here are links to the complete series:
- How much are Accor Live Limitless points worth?
- How much are Hilton Honors points worth?
- How much are IHG One Rewards points worth?
- How much are Radisson Rewards points worth?
- How much are World of Hyatt points worth?
The reason I changed my mind after all these years is thatI found a methodology that works for me. He makes a subjective assessment and then explains the boundaries around him. Or in plain text:
- I'll tell you (without justification) what I think a Marriott Bonvoy point is worth
- I'll tell you up front how wrong I can be (which is good news)
- I'll tell you from the other side how wrong I can be (which is bad news)
- I'll tell you how much Marriott Bonvoy points are worth when you convert them to something else, usually airline miles, which effectively sets a minimum amount.
Why I Think "Range" Is Important When Evaluating Hotel Points
When considering using Avios for business or first class flights, the "cash alternative" is often a poor comparison.Most HfP readers simply cannot or do not want to pay cash for commercial or first class flights.. Your choice is Avios or nothing. Even if you can afford it, what do you compare it to? A cheap, non-refundable sales flight? A more expensive flexible ticket? The cost of an indirect flight out of BA?
Hotels can be redeemed in different ways:
- You stay in many more hotels each year than you do on premium cabin flights, so you can be selective about how you use your points.
- You can usually pay for a hotel if you choose not to use points.
- There are a lot more options in the hotel market than there are in the airline market: most people only have a lot of miles in one airline program, while you probably have hotel points in multiple programs.
It's easy to sit in hotel spots until you get a good deal
The net result of the three previous facts is thisIt's easy to turn down a hotel redemption if it doesn't seem like good value for money. You can pay cash or redeem through another hotel program.
Here's the gist of what I'm trying to say. If you compare two hotel systems:
- Scheme A usually gives you 0.3p per point, but if you're lucky you might get 1p
- Scheme B usually gives 0.4p per point, but if you're lucky you can get 0.6p
….Scheme A might actually be the best.
Most people who try to "score" hotel points don't take this into account.
If you are redeeming points for each stay, regardless of the cash price, scheme B would be best. But nobody does. In realityYou can pay cash for your Scheme A stays until the day a shock bailout arrives and you can get 1p.
How much are Marriott Bonvoy points worth?
Let's see this with our methodology.how much are Marriott Bonvoy points worth.
For simplicity's sake, we don't take into account the fact that you'll get points back if you pay cash. This can have a noticeable impact when running generous bonuses.
I don't mole,Members receive "five nights for four points" upon redemption.. This is available to all members, not just those with elite status. We do not take this into account.
The average HfP score of a Marriott Bonvoy point:
We don't justify this rating, other than to say that I've looked at enough Marriott redemptions over the years to be happy with it. Anyone familiar with the Marriott Bonvoy should know it's good. A £250 hotel usually costs around 50,000 points
Currently, no hotel, not even the most luxurious in the portfolio, costs more than 130,000 Bonvoy points. You should keep in mind that Marriott Bonvoy has more premium hotels than other major chains across the St. Louis. Regis, The Ritz-Carlton and The Luxury Collection. At 0.5p, that equates to £650. With summer 2022 hotel prices, it wasn't hard to find luxury hotels in major cities selling for much more.
How much can the value go up?
ACCORDINGLY,Now we come to the elephant in the room.
In March 2022,Marriott Bonvoy slashed its premium cards. As of 2023, there will be no cost cap for a reward night. If spot prices skyrocket, we can expect spot prices to follow suit.
We are currently in a blackout period where Marriott has imposed a cap of 130,000 points. This will be suspended in October 2022 for bookings in 2023.
when the cap goesWe can expect top hotels likeSt Regis Nova York, which normally costs £1,000 per night in cash, which is equivalent to 200,000 points per night or more. Several hotels are expected to reach 250,000 points per night.
That's not a smart move. Luxury hotels not only seem out of reach for the average member, they also remove any incentive to accumulate Marriott Bonvoy points. Why bother when you get the same penny-per-point value on a Moxy? It's certainly best to spend your points quickly before further devaluations occur.
Hilton Honors was smarter. It uses a hybrid dynamic pricing model. When spot rates are low, spot prices fall. When cash rates skyrocket, there is a cap to ensure the point price doesn't reach an embarrassing level. There's still a reason to earn your Hilton Points instead of redeeming them at every opportunity.
Until we know how Marriott Bonvoy will implement dynamic pricing,It's impossible to say what kind of benefit you can expect from your points on a good day in 2023 and beyond.
How far can the value drop?
Regardless of what happens with dynamic pricing, there is a minimum amount you can earn for your Marriott Bonvoy points.
Marriott offers "Instant Rewards" thatyou can redeem your points for your hotel account at participating hotels. the details areno site gives Bonvoy here.
The chart ranges from 250 points per $1 credit to 125,000 points per $500.You earn 0.4p (currently 0.35p) for every Bonvoy point.
If the Marriott Bonvoy drastically depreciates tomorrow, what's my escape route?
This is our minimum price.What can you do with your points if Marriott Bonvoy massively depreciates overnight?
This is a "live" issue as it is possible that the "cents per point" value set by the dynamic price could be terrible. I think it's unlikely, but it's a risk.
Marriott Bonvoy is the best way to convert your points into airline miles. Important,This gives you more value than redeeming for just a few nights.
Use Marriott Bonvoy Points for Frequent Flyer Miles
Marriott Bonvoy has by far the most generous air transfer rate in the industry.
Bonvoy points transfer to over 40 airlines. The transfer ratio is 3:1. If you wager 60,000 points at once, you will receive a bonus of 5,000 miles, for a total of 25,000 miles.
If we assume that a flying mile is worth 1 pence, thenEarn 0.42p per Marriott Bonvoy point when converting to 60,000 point packages.Break it down into smaller chunks and you'll earn airline miles worth 0.33 cents per Marriott Bonvoy point.
This "worst case" scenario is pretty good when you look at the numbers.
HeA list of Marriott Bonvoy partner airlines can be found here.
Use Marriott Bonvoy points to book a rental
Marriott has a home and villa rental platform called.
All accommodations worldwide are charged in US dollars, and if you choose to pay with points, you will receive 0.6 cents (0.52 pence) for every Bonvoy point.
Again, this is surprisingly good, as good as our 'average' value of 0.5p for a hotel redemption.
In total…. How much do we think Marriott Bonvoy points are worth?
- on average: 0.5p per point, but that might change when we see which value is used for dynamic pricing
- on a very good day - it's not clear until we see the full impact of dynamic pricing in October 2022
- on a bad day: if you likeUse your points for hotel credit, you are guaranteed 0.4 cents (0.35 pence) per point
- if transferring to airline miles worst case: 0.42p per point if transferring in blocks of 60,000 points or 0.33p for other amounts
- if you like to beBook house and villa rentalsYour points are guaranteed to earn 0.6p (0.52p) per point when you pay with points
How this should affect your behavior:
- If you tend to visit top hotels in prime locations at the best times of the year, try securing redemptions now before dynamic pricing kicks in in late 2022. These are the hotels whose spot prices are likely to increase dramatically.
- If your travel style is more about off-peak travel and staying in mid-range hotels, hotel points costs may drop when dynamic pricing is introduced. However, since Marriott Bonvoy point redemptions can be canceled without penalty, there's nothing wrong with correcting and rescheduling reservations now for 2023 if the price of points drops.
How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points and status with UK credit cards (March 2023)
There are several ways to earn Marriott Bonvoy points with UK credit cards. Many cards also havegenerous signup bonuses.
The OfficialMarriott Bonvoy American Express-Karteincludes 20,000 points for signing up, 2 points per £1 spent and 15 elite night credits per year.
He canapply here.
Marriott Bonvoy American Express
20,000 bonus points and 15 elite night creditsRead our full review
He canAlso earn Marriott Bonvoy points when you convert American Express Membership Rewards pointsin the ratio of 2:3.
You knowdonate ofthe platinum cardget FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status from American Express as long as they have the card?It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium and MeliaRewards Gold status.We tested American Express Platinum extensively hereand you canapply here.
American Express Platinum Card
30,000 points and unbeatable travel benefits, for one feeRead our full review
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points indirectly:
- American express oro(20,000 Bonus Amex Points)
- American Express Rewards Credit Card(10,000 Bonus Amex Points)
and for small business owners:
- American Express Business Gold(20,000 Bonus Amex Points)
- American Express Business Platinum(40,000 Bonus Amex Points)
Through March 30, 2023, the American Express Business Platinum sign-up bonus will increase to 120,000 Membership Rewards points:Click here. American Express Business Gold bonus increased to 60,000 Membership Rewards points –Click here. Terms and conditions apply, see entry forms for more information.
The conversion rate from American Express Points to Marriott Bonvoy is 2:3.
Click here to read our in-depth overview of all UK credit cards that can be used to earn Marriott Bonvoy points.
(Would you like to earn more hotel points?Click here to viewour full list of top hotel chain dealsor use the "Hotel Deals" link in the menu bar at the top of the page).